Kevin shares with us how to build an online presence and how to influence others using online resources, such as Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, rate and review.“It’s been a labor of love, but with strategic social media moves, I think that people are finally getting to know us. We’re here and what we’re doing is impactful.” Click To Tweet
Sharing content through the internet allows you to build your brand by letting others know who you are and what you do. There is no faster way to do that today than creating a social media presence of your personal brand or your organization. In this episode, Lindsay Simonds chats to Kevin Nichols, a mega influencer and social media guru. Kevin shares with us how to build that presence and how to influence others using online resources, such as Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn.
Kevin Nichols is the Co-founder of The Social Engineering Project, an open space, social impact venture through Stanford University. He’s also a social networking expert featured in LinkedIn’s Hall of Fame. The Social Engineering Project is a program that trains and mentors black male youth to get involved in STEM education, technology creation, entrepreneurship and gives them leadership skills to transform their lives and communities. Kevin has recently completed an executive program for social entrepreneurship at Stanford’s Graduate School of Business and completed a certification program called the Fundraising Academy through the Stanford Institute of Philanthropy at JFK University. Lindsay is on faculty at this program with a focus on Major Gifts, which is where they originally met.
In this episode of Creating Community for Good, we listen to Kevin and Lindsay talk about how sharing information can help you build your brand, and raise awareness of who you are and what you do. Kevin might not be doing the selfies with Kylie Jenner (171M Insta followers), but that is because he strategically aligns himself with core values to advance his work. Learn how Kevin ended up on LinkedIn’s Home Page, his relationship with the social media platform, and the impact you can have on others to raise money for your organization.
- (01:22) How Lindsay met Kevin while teaching a course on Major Gifts as a faculty member of the Sanford Institute of Philanthropy at John F. Kennedy University. ,
- (01:51) How Kevin’s social influence benefits his mission focus and himself as a human being.
- (03:01) Aligning social media to your values and his incredible story as one of LinkedIn’s early adapters.
- (08:30) Bringing technology, spreading the love and creating community on social media.
- (10:51) The pros and cons of being an awesome connector to like-minded people.
- (12:54) The explosion of Kevin’s profile through LinkedIn.
- (15:50) How technology impacts philanthropy and Kevin’s vision inside his organization, The Social Engineering Project.
- (17:25) Lindsay’s tips for identifying the ideal prospective Major Gift donor using the Golden Triangle fundraising adage.
- (18:58) Different data points to show your impact on others and the remarkable story of one of Kevin’s students.
- (21:18) How Kevin manages all the moving pieces in social media to strengthen his presence.
Connect with Kevin
Tech Done Right in the Wilderness article by Kevin Nichols (Featuring me, YAY!)