Sterrin Bird is a nationally respected major gifts fundraiser and philanthropic advisor who thinks ‘get the money out of the middle’, should be every nonprofit’s new mantra.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, rate and review.
Building Lasting Relationships with Donors“Get the money out of the center of the conversation and put the people in the middle.” Click To Tweet
The master of individual giving and major gifts fundraising is a combination of an art and a science. Crisis or not, it can be a challenge. Fundraising is about listening more than pitching. Ask the right questions — high-value questions, and you will co-develop a winning strategy for a long-term relationship — in fundraising or otherwise. Today’s guest Sterrin Bird, joins Lindsay in an enlightening conversation about techniques, language and frameworks around major gifts solicitations,(even during uncertain times).
Sterrin Bird is a nationally respected major gifts fundraiser and philanthropic advisor who believes in the power of a thoughtful dialogue over drawn-out hypothesizing. With over 25 years of experience in service to philanthropy, with particular emphasis on capital campaigning and major gifts, she cuts through the adages and guidelines in order to get real and stay human. As a major gift fundraising leader, she shares effective phrases, ideal timing — and even practices a pitch on air!
‘Get the money out of the middle’, should be every nonprofit’s new mantra. In today’s episode, we talk about the nuances of effective communication, compassion, and gratitude. Sterrin will model how tailoring your conversation around your prospective donors is far more powerful than just asking for money. Consider the advice from Rick Happy in the past episode, regarding the philanthropic landscape changes, and then listen to this episode to plan how you will leverage your current situation and relationships to guide sustained success.
- (01:30) – Sterrin’s framework on major gifts and how a nonprofit can maximize their current donors to secure them.
- (02:40) – Segmenting and identifying the major donors in your database and effective language to approach them.
- (05:30) – Views of the major gifts field, trends, and behaviors of the donors. Also, how to activate them against your mission much more quickly.
- (08:31) – The global reset: strategies to create an effective playing field to connect with donors virtually.
- (14:00) – How to engage new major gift donors and common mistakes fundraisers make.
- (17:42) – Knowing when to stop pursuing prospects.
- (19:28) – The value of volunteers and the mark of a really great fundraiser.
- (21:50) – Best practice in stewardship and relationship management.
- (26:42) – The integration of courage, connection, and authenticity through language and mental framework.
Connect with Sterrin
The Soul of Money by Lynne Twist