How would you make a stranger feel safe with just words? In this episode, Lindsay chats with Empower Work’s founder Jaime-Alexis Fowler about exactly that.
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts, rate and review.
Getting into the heart of conversations and connecting with others quicker and more comfortably, including via SMS.“What would it take to make you feel whole?’ We ask that sometimes in conversations because so much of that is about ultimately where you want this to go, and how can we best support you to be the person you want to be.” Click To Tweet
When our loved ones reach out to us for advice or to talk about a situation concerning them, we just have to sit down and listen. With the current social distancing, physical gatherings have been suspended and all we have left are remote communication channels to stay connected with the ones we care about the most. Due to the COVID-19 crisis, everyone is facing emotional and mental distress, so making others feel heard remotely sounds overwhelming and maybe even impossible. With an amazing initiative, Empower Work blends emotional and tactical support for workers at critical moments… all via SMS. How would you make a stranger feel safe with just words? In this episode, Lindsay chats with Empower Work’s founder Jaime-Alexis Fowler about exactly that.
A seasoned leader, Jaime-Alexis is all about building trusting relationships. She and her organization work every day to help workers feel valued and empowered through text messages. Her listening skills, empathy, and awareness have taken her to be a recognized speaker and writer on building healthy workplaces, social entrepreneurship, and the future of work.
Join Lindsay and Jaime-Alexis as they discuss important approaches to communicate better – no matter the channel. She will share strategies and key phrases to frame difficult conversations, build trust, and direct dialogues towards resolution. You’ll find amazing tips and resources to enrich your conversations and connections with clients, peers, friends and family. Would you ever use these techniques in text messaging? Listen now to discover timeless, valuable tips that will impact all your relationships for the better.
- (01:06) – How Empower Work’s confidential, immediate hotline blends emotional and tactical support for workers at critical moments…all through SMS.
- (04:57) – An ugly truth: 80% of Americans lack resources to turn to when facing negative experiences at their workplace.
- (07:51) – How COVID-19 has impacted workers’ lives and mental health.
- (10:44) – What sets apart the Empower Work coaching from conventional therapy.
- (14:11) – How to create a safe space and help people feel heard with deep listening.
- (18:59) – The high-value questions that fundraisers can use to improve their peer-to-peer relationships.
- (21:28) – The opening phrases to start an honest conversation within a safe space.
- (23:33) – How to improve active listening skills to facilitate hard conversations.
- (24:51) – The importance of setting healthy boundaries when resolving conflicts.
- (28:50) – How to convey your presence and attention while texting.
- (31:42) – Relationships in times of social distancing: How to establish aligned agreements when using remote communication channels and tools.